Writing Brigit


Writing Brigit

Many years ago I wrote my first Brigit prayer. Poem. Blessing... I have been writing them ever since, but seldom publish them. Some are carefully researched and crafted, some are simple and straight from the heart. (Belated update: I did eventually publish a book called A Brigit of Ireland Devotional - Sun Among Stars. It contains many of my Brigit poems and prayers, essays, and resources.)

The prayers and blessings of my sisters in the Daughters of the Flame and other Brigit-loving women and men, living and long-dead, fill me with surprise and delight, as well.

I would like to share some of these writings with you.

Following is the one that signs off each of my emails, a reminder to guide my words and intentions with care when I write to anyone. It's as good a place to start as any.


Flame Offering

In the name of the three Brigits

I light the candle of my heart

May I offer it to everyone

gentle and steady

warm and bright



17 January 2022

"What She Speaks When I Tend Her Flame" by Erin Aurelia

 


What She Speaks When I Tend Her Flame

Erin Aurelia


I transform, she says:


the raw meat into food
the raw thoughts into poetry
the raw materials into arts and crafts
the raw ore into weapons and tools
the raw plants into healing draughts


in your heart, distress to peace


in your mind, worry to reassurance


in your body, death into life, then life into growth


in your life, suffering into power


I transform, by the grace of the flame


She said, you too can embody transformation:
from chaos to order

from complacency to vigilance
from disease to healing
from loneliness to togetherness
from otherworlds to thisworld
from outside to in
from self to others
like a gift

 

gifting is gracing


gift yourself, gift another, and then another
receive in grace, give in grace,
become grace


and then, we
become the Flame,
her flame in this world

 

so shine on:
for her, for you, for all

 

 

 

 

 

Image: "Juvenile bird resting on human hand" by Razvan Narcis Ticu in Războieni, Romania. Image from Unsplash.

No comments:

Post a Comment