Writing Brigit


Writing Brigit

Many years ago I wrote my first Brigit prayer. Poem. Blessing... I have been writing them ever since, but seldom publish them. Some are carefully researched and crafted, some are simple and straight from the heart. (Belated update: I did eventually publish a book called A Brigit of Ireland Devotional - Sun Among Stars. It contains many of my Brigit poems and prayers, essays, and resources.)

The prayers and blessings of my sisters in the Daughters of the Flame and other Brigit-loving women and men, living and long-dead, fill me with surprise and delight, as well.

I would like to share some of these writings with you.

Following is the one that signs off each of my emails, a reminder to guide my words and intentions with care when I write to anyone. It's as good a place to start as any.


Flame Offering

In the name of the three Brigits

I light the candle of my heart

May I offer it to everyone

gentle and steady

warm and bright



17 January 2022

Celebrating Brigit - A Gathering of Friends (Book Launch of A Brigit of Ireland Devotional - Sun Among Stars)



To my complete surprise, I've just discovered that I completely forgot to post this video of my book launch. I was inspired by the way Geraldine Moorkens Byrne (two below me, long blonde hair) organised her book launch. Rather than having something very dry, or having the spotlight 100% on the author, it became a community event. I stole the idea and consequently had a wonderful hour and a bit of Brigit readings and song, from a slew of wonderful folk. So if you like to put faces or voices to your creative Brigit offerings, this video will help you with that.

From the original Facebook post (we launched via Zoom and Facebook Live simultaneously):

That was a joyful gathering, this launch of A Brigit of Ireland Devotional - Sun Among Stars. Great thanks to those who read or sang, great thanks to Clélie Rich for not only hosting this and dealing with tech issues I didn't even know existed, but for being the editor of my book, and creating an arc for the poems to follow.

Thank you to everyone for coming today, with hearts open and ears at the ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment