Writing Brigit


Writing Brigit

Many years ago I wrote my first Brigit prayer. Poem. Blessing... I have been writing them ever since, but seldom publish them. Some are carefully researched and crafted, some are simple and straight from the heart. (Belated update: I did eventually publish a book called A Brigit of Ireland Devotional - Sun Among Stars. It contains many of my Brigit poems and prayers, essays, and resources.)

The prayers and blessings of my sisters in the Daughters of the Flame and other Brigit-loving women and men, living and long-dead, fill me with surprise and delight, as well.

I would like to share some of these writings with you.

Following is the one that signs off each of my emails, a reminder to guide my words and intentions with care when I write to anyone. It's as good a place to start as any.


Flame Offering

In the name of the three Brigits

I light the candle of my heart

May I offer it to everyone

gentle and steady

warm and bright



09 September 2024

Orthodox Hymns to St Brigit of Kildare

 In my reading today I have stumbled across Orthodox Wiki and its entry on "Our venerable Mother Brigid of Kildare or Brigid of Ireland.” Included are four hymns to St. Brigit, which I include below.

Troparion (Tone 1) [1]

O holy Brigid, you became sublime through your humility,

and flew on the wings of your longing for God.

When you arrived in the eternal City and appeared before your Divine Spouse,

wearing the crown of virginity,

you kept your promise

to remember those who have recourse to you.

You shower grace upon the world, and multiply miracles.

Intercede with Christ our God that He may save our souls.


Kontakion (Tone 4) [2]

The holy virgin Brigid full of divine wisdom,

went with joy along the way of evangelical childhood,

and with the grace of God/ attained in this way the summit of virtue.

She now bestows blessings upon those who come to her with faith.

O holy Virgin, intercede with Christ our God

that He may have mercy on our souls.


Apolytikion (Tone 4) [3]

Having learned of things divine by the words of Patrick,

thou hast proclaimed in the West the good tidings of Christ.

Wherefore, we venerate thee, O Brigid,

and entreat thee to intercede with God that our souls be saved.


Kontakion (Tone 3) [4]

At the Church of the Oak, thou didst establish thy sacred monasteries

for those that took up the Tree of life,

even the Precious Cross, upon their shoulders.

And by thy grace-filled life and love of learning,

thou didst bear fruit a hundredfold and didst thereby nourish the faithful.

O righteous Mother Brigid, intercede with Christ, the True Vine, that He save our souls.




Image: St. Brigid icon written by Bulgarian iconographer Georgi Chimev.

No comments:

Post a Comment