Writing Brigit


Writing Brigit

Many years ago I wrote my first Brigit prayer. Poem. Blessing... I have been writing them ever since, but seldom publish them. Some are carefully researched and crafted, some are simple and straight from the heart. (Belated update: I did eventually publish a book called A Brigit of Ireland Devotional - Sun Among Stars. It contains many of my Brigit poems and prayers, essays, and resources.)

The prayers and blessings of my sisters in the Daughters of the Flame and other Brigit-loving women and men, living and long-dead, fill me with surprise and delight, as well.

I would like to share some of these writings with you.

Following is the one that signs off each of my emails, a reminder to guide my words and intentions with care when I write to anyone. It's as good a place to start as any.


Flame Offering

In the name of the three Brigits

I light the candle of my heart

May I offer it to everyone

gentle and steady

warm and bright



11 January 2021

"Songs of the Oystercatcher - Honouring Brihde through the Wheel of the Year" by Heather Upfield

 


Bridie sailed up the west coast of Scotland and walked these lands that I walk.
She's still here in the many chapels and features of the landscape.
But she's not remote, but warm, domestic, a much-loved aunt...
the Oystercatchers call her name, and I join them in their calling 
��

Several years ago Heather Upfield generously allowed me to upload her poetry chapbook, "Songs of the Oystercatcher," for the use of visitors to Stone on the Belly. When we were chatting the other day she wrote the above words, which resounded greatly within me. Particularly the idea of Brigit as an aunt. That identity sits well with me.

I wanted to share her words with you, and to draw your attention to the many words she already has here. Please feel free to have a look at Heather's heartfelt words to Brigit by following this link.




Image: Uncredited.

No comments:

Post a Comment