Writing Brigit


Writing Brigit

Many years ago I wrote my first Brigit prayer. Poem. Blessing... I have been writing them ever since, but seldom publish them. Some are carefully researched and crafted, some are simple and straight from the heart. (Belated update: I did eventually publish a book called A Brigit of Ireland Devotional - Sun Among Stars. It contains many of my Brigit poems and prayers, essays, and resources.)

The prayers and blessings of my sisters in the Daughters of the Flame and other Brigit-loving women and men, living and long-dead, fill me with surprise and delight, as well.

I would like to share some of these writings with you.

Following is the one that signs off each of my emails, a reminder to guide my words and intentions with care when I write to anyone. It's as good a place to start as any.


Flame Offering

In the name of the three Brigits

I light the candle of my heart

May I offer it to everyone

gentle and steady

warm and bright



24 January 2021

"An Offer to Brigid: for Imbolg" by Madelyn Burnhope

 


An Offer to Brigid: for Imbolg

Goddess of this festival,

for whom a constant flame is tended,

daughter of the Dagda, seen aslant

by the Morrigan in the pocked

copper of His cauldron,

we need a word about

what’s meant by ‘birth.’

We have been reborn so many times,

laboured through so many phases,

and still this void, inside whose hearth

flames crackle, spit and hiss,

inviting family only so close.

Felt dandelions bud inside us, but none

has grown. How to navigate this?

What is meant by terms such as ‘to term’

and who may use them? Is it the compass

and radar of the seed which carries it

or the power of the wind around her?

Is it the meat-hands of Market Street

which bring children streaming into Spring

or the long light-gone gestation of Winter?

If you would turn your face

from the table, anvil, furnace, all

the various tools you’re forging –

blowing, bending, sending sparks

up into the workshop air –

and answer us, we would prepare

offerings from the bellies of our pantries:

honey, herbs, corn bread, dollies.

We have carried and come to terms.

Your misty-eyed, mystified daughters,

some of us misidentified as sons.

Name the way you wish us

in our barrenness to engage with you,

knowing not just any medium will do.

In the name of circling pool and flame,

and the bright bodies who birthed you.

 



 

Note: Madelyn Burnhope is devoted to Brigid, as well as the Dagda and the Morrigan, who revealed herself to her as Brigid’s mother, a UPG (unverified personal gnosis) referenced in this poem.

 

Image: Photo by Mateus Campos Felipe on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment