Pages

▼

16 January 2021

“Why I Tend Your Flame” by Mael Brigde


Why I Tend Your Flame

 

why return always

to this endless ritual

of nineteen days plus one

 

(on the twentieth day of the cycle

when each sister has had her turn

you keep your flame alive

 

(in the evening of the following day

you offer me the glowing coal

to kindle

my own small fire)

 

I am so forgetful

I strike the match

and before the wick is blackened

I am a thousand miles away

planning   worrying   angry   wishful

hurrying to accomplish this and that

 

if I am so very forgetful

why return

 

in that moment

when I take a breath

place the candle in its lantern

lantern in its cauldron

pour water clean and fresh

around its base

when I add the blue juniper

whisper words of honouring

of sharing   and of blessing

of request

when I open my hands to receive

your eye-bright coal

my heart opens with them

I glimpse this wider land

this wider life

come closer

for one fraction of a second

awake

 

this is your gift to me

 

mine to you

is to return

again and again

to this moment of ignition

in my soul

 

 


 

 Image: "Flametending candle" by Mael Brigde

No comments:

Post a Comment