Writing Brigit


Writing Brigit

Many years ago I wrote my first Brigit prayer. Poem. Blessing... I have been writing them ever since, but seldom publish them. Some are carefully researched and crafted, some are simple and straight from the heart. (Belated update: I did eventually publish a book called A Brigit of Ireland Devotional - Sun Among Stars. It contains many of my Brigit poems and prayers, essays, and resources.)

The prayers and blessings of my sisters in the Daughters of the Flame and other Brigit-loving women and men, living and long-dead, fill me with surprise and delight, as well.

I would like to share some of these writings with you.

Following is the one that signs off each of my emails, a reminder to guide my words and intentions with care when I write to anyone. It's as good a place to start as any.


Flame Offering

In the name of the three Brigits

I light the candle of my heart

May I offer it to everyone

gentle and steady

warm and bright



26 March 2020

“Prayer to Brighid, the Peace Bride” by Jenne Micale





Prayer to Brighid, the Peace Bride

O Peace Bride, Beloved of Bres,
you gave your hand to heal warring kin
for what is home without peace? Mourning
mother, inventor of keening, you who
count the cost when families fight: Guide me
through my trials with a diplomat’s grace.
Peace-weaver, let me be the balm of
warring hearts. Let our passions be the hearth
of sanctuary, not the blaze of hate.
Let me strive always to speak with peace
and steady the hand before it reaches
for the blade. Let me be vulnerable
to our shared disappointments, our shames
and our histories, and from them always
weave peace from the broken threads of the world






Image: "Woman weaving in Peru" by Tydence Davis from Las Vegas. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license.

No comments:

Post a Comment