Pages

▼

23 July 2017

“I Will Kindle My Fire” (Song) by Mael Brigde



I will kindle my fire this morning
in the presence of Brigit and her holy women.
Brigit, kindle in my heart within
a flame of love to my neighbour
to my foe, to my friend, to my kindred all
to the brave, to the knave, to the thrall
without malice, without jealousy, without envy, without fear
without terror of anyone under the sun.



Click here to hear the song on SoundCloud.




This is a reworked Scottish prayer. The original was collected in the Carmina Gadelica by Alexander Carmichael. I made the changes out of a desire to have a prayer I could use when I lit the flame at the start of my shift. The tune arose spontaneously as I recited the prayer.


   Original  Prayer:

       I WILL kindle my fire this morning
   In presence of the holy angels of heaven,
   In presence of Ariel of the loveliest form,
   In presence of Uriel of the myriad charms,
   Without malice, without jealousy, without envy,
   Without fear, without terror of any one under the sun,
   But the Holy Son of God to shield me.
        Without malice, without jealousy, without envy,
        Without fear, without terror of any one under   the sun,
        But the Holy Son of God to shield me.

God, kindle   Thou in my heart within
   A flame of love to my neighbour,
   To my foe, to my friend, to my kindred all,
   To the brave, to the knave, to the thrall,
   O Son of the loveliest Mary,
   From the lowliest thing that liveth,
   To the Name that is highest of all.
        O Son of the loveliest Mary,
        From the lowliest thing that liveth,
        To the Name that is highest of all.


     Source: Carmina Gadelica, Volume 1, by Alexander Carmichael, [1900], at sacred-texts.com, pg 231. Modified by Mael Brigde.

Image: Deutsch: “Bäuerin, am Herdfeuer sitzend”, English: “Peasant-woman sitting at the Hearth-fire”, by Vincent van Gogh (1853–1890) (Wikimedia).

No comments:

Post a Comment