Writing Brigit


Writing Brigit

Many years ago I wrote my first Brigit prayer. Poem. Blessing... I have been writing them ever since, but seldom publish them. Some are carefully researched and crafted, some are simple and straight from the heart. (Belated update: I did eventually publish a book called A Brigit of Ireland Devotional - Sun Among Stars. It contains many of my Brigit poems and prayers, essays, and resources.)

The prayers and blessings of my sisters in the Daughters of the Flame and other Brigit-loving women and men, living and long-dead, fill me with surprise and delight, as well.

I would like to share some of these writings with you.

Following is the one that signs off each of my emails, a reminder to guide my words and intentions with care when I write to anyone. It's as good a place to start as any.


Flame Offering

In the name of the three Brigits

I light the candle of my heart

May I offer it to everyone

gentle and steady

warm and bright



21 June 2017

“All-Giving Sun, Father of Brig” by Mael Brigde



All-Giving Sun, Father of Brig

Good God
Shapeshifter
Glowing Head
Beautiful Fire
Ruddy One of Much Wisdom

Father of All

such is the vast Dagda   Brig
the one who gave you life
perfector of divine science
possessor of triads
the god of druidry
to the gods

the sun itself in heaven
able and magnanimous
he cleared twelve plains in a single night
cut the path of twelve rivers
governs weather    crops for the Tuatha Dé

by night he dwells with the dead
by day   the living
binds together winter and summer
dark and light

builder   warrior
provider and protector
he dwells in the sublimest sidhe
at Brugh na Bóinne
the Hostel of the Mound

voracious and potent
there he lay with the Morrigan
ah  he lay with many goddesses
you have half-sisters    half-brothers
throughout the land

his cauldron a huge and mighty treasure
his dreadful iron club
one end rough and one end gentle
nine men it kills in an instant
nine men in an instant revives

your father   The Dagda
who birthed in you the mighty sun of inspiration
bequeathed you the cauldron generous
ignited in you poet and healer both



Image: "Soleil Coronographe" by Rogilbert (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons



No comments:

Post a Comment