Writing Brigit


Writing Brigit

Many years ago I wrote my first Brigit prayer. Poem. Blessing... I have been writing them ever since, but seldom publish them. Some are carefully researched and crafted, some are simple and straight from the heart. (Belated update: I did eventually publish a book called A Brigit of Ireland Devotional - Sun Among Stars. It contains many of my Brigit poems and prayers, essays, and resources.)

The prayers and blessings of my sisters in the Daughters of the Flame and other Brigit-loving women and men, living and long-dead, fill me with surprise and delight, as well.

I would like to share some of these writings with you.

Following is the one that signs off each of my emails, a reminder to guide my words and intentions with care when I write to anyone. It's as good a place to start as any.


Flame Offering

In the name of the three Brigits

I light the candle of my heart

May I offer it to everyone

gentle and steady

warm and bright



06 June 2016

“The Mystery of Brigit” by Hilaire Wood













The Mystery of Brigit
Irish goddess of poetry, healing and smithcraft
You walked out of ancient mists
bringing light to my path,
blessing with fire
restoring the life with the flame.
Clothed in your grace
I follow your footsteps
to the place where mysteries merge
and the shapes behind myth
are revealed as truth.
Your presence soothes 
and sharpens memory,
you are my maker of song,
the radiant flame of gold
that illuminates the land
beyond the ninth wave,
that forges a sword of light
to penetrate, to heal.
Kneeling at your well
I drink of your mystery.
the waters of the sun
flood my skull with sacred fire,
flowing with light
my spirit sings of the deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment